- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup almond flour (see note)
- 3 large egg whites at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 3 drops red food coloring
- ½ cup seedless raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (Fahrenheit) and position racks in the upper and lower thirds. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large, wide bowl, using a large rubber spatula or a handheld electric mixer, mix the confectioner’s sugar and the almond flour with one of the egg whites until evenly moistened.
- In a small saucepan, combine the granulated sugar with the water and bring to a boil. Using a moistened pastry brush, wash down any crystals on the side of the pan. Cook over high heat until the syrup reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- In another large bowl, using clean, dry beaters, beat the remaining two egg whites at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. With the mixer at high speed, carefully drizzle the hot sugar syrup over the whites and beat until firm and glossy. Beat in the food coloring until the meringue is bright pink.
- Stir one-fourth of the meringue into the almond mixture. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the remaining meringue. Transfer the meringue to a pastry bag fitted with a plain ½ inch tip; pipe onto the prepared baking sheets in 1 ½ ” mounds, 1 inch apart. Tap the sheets and let dry for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the meringues to the oven and immediately turn off the heat. Bake the meringues for 5 minutes. Turn the oven on to 400 degrees again and bake the meringues for 8 minutes, until they are puffed and the tops are firm and glossy. Transfer the baking sheets to racks and let cool completely. Peel the meringues off of the parchment paper.
- Spoon the jam into a small pastry bag fitted with a ¼ ” tip. Alternatively, use a re-sealable sturdy plastic bag and snip off a corner. Pipe the preserves onto the flat sides of half of the meringues. Top with the remaining meringues and serve.
Note: Almond flour (finely ground blanched almonds) is available at supermarkets.