8 servings | 180 minute cook time
- 1 (2 1/2-pound) beef brisket, thick-cut
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, halved
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Rinse brisket. Place in roasting pan.
- Rub paprika, basil, salt and pepper into meat.
- Scatter onions and garlic over meat.
- In a medium bowl, mix ketchup, wine and water. Pour over brisket.
- Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil, tenting so that the foil does not touch the meat.
- Bake, covered, at 325°F for 3 hours, or until a digital instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the brisket reads 190°F for well done.
- Let stand at least 15 minutes before slicing diagonally, against the grain. Serve warm, and pass pan juices in a sauce boat.